Department of Workforce Development and Attached Offices
Under the Kentucky Open Records Act, any Kentucky resident may inspect any nonexempt public record regardless of their identity and may seek enforcement of the Act if denied this right.
All requests for copies or review of public records in the custody of the Education and Labor Cabinet must be made in writing using
this form. Requests can be mailed to the address below, faxed to 502-564-6858 or emailed to DWDOpenRecords@ky.gov.Kentucky Education and Labor Cabinet
Attn: Open Records Request
500 Mero Street
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Open Records Request for Department of Workers' Claims
The Department will process faxed, emailed, and mailed requests in the traditional fashion. Please note the updated price per page rates for all requests. Detailed open records requests, those which seek documents containing information exempt from disclosure, require a written release from the party whose information is sought. Please use the Release of Records Form
for all detailed open records requests. All returned documents will be sent through the United States Postal service.
- $0.15 per page/ computer copies plus a $2.50 processing fee per request
- $0.75 per page/ microfilm requests plus a $5.00 processing fee per request
- $5.00 per request for certification
The Department will no longer accept nor process Pre-Employment Screening requests as it has in the past. The response to a Pre-Employment Screening request will only disclose whether a first report of injury has been filed with respect to the individual about whom the request is submitted. An Open Records Request is required to obtain additional information.
The Department of Workers' Claims requires pre-payment for all Pre-Employment requests pursuant to KRS 61.874(1). Requests must be mailed with the payment at the time of submission. Please include the person's name, full Social Security Number, your return mailing address and the $2.00 per social requested. Requests will not be processed and will be returned if full payment is not included and/or request is not legible.
Pursuant to KRS 150.170, the Open Records Section also verifies workers’ compensation awards for the Department of Fish and Wildlife for individuals applying for free hunting and fishing licenses.
There will be a $35.00 fee on all returned checks.
Open Records Request for Department of Workplace Standards
In order to process a requested record, the following steps must be followed:
- Although not required, a resident may request to inspect public records by using this form. When requesting information, please be as detailed as possible in your request. (i.e. Name of Company; Date of Inspection; Name of Party Injured (if an injury occurred); Inspection Number (if possible, but not necessary); Address of Company (or where the inspection occurred).
- Requests may be sent via email (Labor.OpenRecords@ky.gov) or mailed to Open Records Officer – DWS at 500 Mero Street, 3rd Floor, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
- If the request is made by mail, please include a return mailing address and phone number with the request.
- Certain types of information may not be released due to statutory exemptions.
- Responses to requests may be picked up in person, mailed, emailed (where file size permits) or sent by other electronic avenues. If you wish to pick up a response in person, please indicate that in the request and provide a phone number so that our office can contact you when the response is ready.
- If you wish to receive a hard copy, it is ten cents per page and 25 cents per color page. Please indicate in your request that you would like a hard copy.
- We will respond to requests within 5 business days from the date we receive the request. Some requests are larger than others and may require additional time to obtain and sanitize the responsive information. If more than five days are needed to prepare a response, you will receive communication from our office indicating the additional time needed to prepare a response.
Open Records Request for Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives
Most records held by the Archives are available without the need for filing an Open Records Request. Click here
to submit a request for historical, legal, and/or genealogical research from the State Archives.
Or you may mail your open records request to:
Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives
PO Box 537
Frankfort, KY 40602
You may use this form
for your open records request.
You may read KDLA’s Open Records and Records Retention policies and procedures here
Open Records Request for Office of Unemployment Insurance/Career Development Office